Bisexual Book Awards / Books of 2013
Who can nominate books?
Books can be nominated by the author, publisher or the Bi Writers Association (BWA). However, anyone may suggest a book for nomination.
What books can be nominated?
- Any book with a bisexual character, bisexual storyline, bisexual subject matter or bisexual themes.
- Awards are open to all authors regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity (except for the Bi Writer Award.)
- Books should be first published in 2013.
- Books should be published in English.
- Books must be published in print--not only E-book format.
Nominations are open now and will close on Jan 3rd.
A panel of judges will decide each category. Books are judged on three main criteria:
1. Quality of overall writing
2. Quality of writing about bisexual characters, bisexual themes or bisexual material
3. Quantity of bisexual material
Finalists will be chosen in each category by the judges. The number of finalists in a category can vary depending on the number of books nominated to that category and the number of books that the judges find deserving. Finalists will be announced by May 1st.
Winners are chosen by judges and will be announced at the Bisexual Book Awards in 2014. Tentative date is June 1st but will be confirmed soon.
How to nominate?
Contact the Bi Writers Association at: fuscialadybug (at) netzero (dot) com with name of book, author name, publisher, year of publication and whether it is fiction or non-fiction; then request a nomination form. Fill out and return via email, attaching one Ebook copy of the book for the judges. Then send one copy of the physical book to the Bi Writers Association (address provided on the nomination form.) Email fuscialadybug (at) netzero (dot) com or call BWA at 212-928-3558 if you have any questions about nominating your book.
What are the fees? There is no fee to nominate a book.
What are the categories?
The main two categories are Bisexual Fiction and Bisexual Non-Fiction. Additional categories (below) will be used, created or unused, depending on the number of books in each category. There must be at least three books in a category for that category to be used. Books should first be nominated to Bisexual Fiction or Bisexual Non-Fiction, then to any other categories below that seem appropriate. (BWA reserves the right to remove a book from a category it doesn’t fit.)
Categories for Nomination:
1. Bisexual Fiction
2. Bisexual Non-Fiction
3. Bisexual Speculative Fiction [Science Fiction/Fantasy/Horror]
4. Bisexual YA Fiction
5. Bisexual Biography/Memoir
6. Bisexual Poetry
7. Bisexual Erotic Fiction/Erotica
Nominations for these categories are handled a bit differently, see below:
8. Bi Book Publisher of the Year
Awarded to the press who publishes the most bisexual books in 2013. *Publishers should notify BWA of all the bi-themed books in their catalogue for 2013 so we can make an accurate tally for the Bi Book Publisher of the Year Award.
9. Bi Writer Award
Awarded to an openly bi/bisexual/pansexual/fluid author of a bisexual book or openly bi/bisexual/pansexual/fluid editor of a bisexual anthology.
*Only the BWA and judges nominate authors to this category, after reading the books. Winner is chosen with input of judges from all categories.